Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Smiths

I've been listening to the Smiths fairly incessantly for the past 4 weeks. It started with a night with John Dufilho in Dallas. I flew in to rehearse with him, to ready him to stand in for Joe Reyes in Austin. We stayed up till 4, drinking beers, and playing songs. At one point, in his office studio, maybe 3 AM he said, "you know the Smiths are really good." He played "Girlfriend in a Coma" and since then I've been re-finding, obsessing on this band.

And now, as I navigate some very strange waters, and I feel totally adrift, I find comfort in Morrisey's laugh out loud, perfectly melodramatic lyrics. Words that I thought too campy, and songs that I blew off in high school. And in a way I'm thankful. I find that even at my age, I can get back that high school feeling, that thorough love for the new music.

Has the Perrier gone straight to my head? Yes!

Oh, and thank you John.

No comments: